A Magical Day Out for all the Family
Guests to come down the main drive and park in front of the castle - tea and cake in the Great Hall provided by us
THE FINEST STATELY HOME IN PEMBROKESHIRE.
Picton Castle is a rare 13th century Welsh castle which was continually occupied for over 700 years. The interiors are famous for their Georgian elegance and original contents. It is unique in Britain and combined with the glorious gardens is the finest stately home in Pembrokeshire.
Situated in Pembrokeshire in West Wales, Picton Castle Gardens comprises 40 acres of beautiful grounds and woodlands famous for the azalea and rhododendron displays. The walled garden and play areas provide all year round delight and interest for our visitors. There are collections of conifers, ferns and gunneras on display. The grounds also contain a maze, walled garden and play area.
The castle was the home of the Philipps family for over 400 years and in 1987 they set up a charitable trust to ensure the future of the estate for the benefit of the people of Wales and Pembrokeshire.
In 1697 Sir John Philipps made a new entrance at first floor level so that guests would enter into the principal rooms. In the 1820s the whole area of the old forecourt was raised to from a carriage circle with stone staircases going down to original ground level. At the same time in 1826 the neo-Norman main door was created to the deign of local architect Thomas Rowlands of Haverfordwest.
In 1749-52 a major modernisation took place which gives Picton today its notable internal décor. The Great Hall was transformed into a splendid reception room in the Palladian style, with a minstrel’s gallery and a splendid Circular Library within the 13th century south east tower.
In the mid 18th century Sir John Philipps undertook the main work to the castle and commissioned Sir Henry Cheere to produce the wonderful carved fireplaces for which Picton is justly famous. The one in the hall is of stone but others in the dining room and the white and gold drawing room are wonderfully carved in the finest Italian marbles.